It’s the details that really bring a piece of fiction into the real world. I had some ideas for how I wanted my potions to look and how I was going to pull it off, but my husband provided the inspiration for these first ones. It’s taken a bit of fiddling to work out the ideal ratios for each one to get the best effect.
As I only had green ink on hand, I started off with the Tears of the Dead poison.
Tears of the Dead
I was surprisingly pleased with how the first attempt worked out, but I quickly found that while it looked great in natural light, the movement of the water wasn’t as pronounced as I wanted it. My attempts to increase the green ink made it too dark to see much of anything, so I tried to compensate with silver ink which didn’t help at all and simply made it look like glittery nail polish. After a few adjustments, I decided I was on to a winner.
Cold Resistance Tonic
Having raided the local 24-hour Tesco for food colouring, I had a go at the Cold Resistance tonic.
I remixed the Tears of the Dead poison to match the same quantities, but in retrospect I preferred the slightly darker green of the earlier version. I absolutely love the effect it has when lit up, so I have some submersible LEDs on the way for testing out. I’m in two minds about fitting them into the corks, as the corks are so little and I don’t want to damage them. I was pointed towards some pre-made LED corks, but I’m not convinced that they’ll fit my bottles properly. I plan on painting some “frosting” on the Cold Resistance tonic, so if the corks don’t work out, the paint should hide the LED if I drop it in and let it sink to the bottom.
The Antivan Fire grenade is next on my list to try out and I’ve got a few thoughts for making the grenades themselves so that I can make the potions and grenades look a bit different.