Scale Maille – Part Four

It’s been a while since I did an update about Mahariel’s maille, so here it is!  I gave up a few weeks ago and decided to buy a plectrum punch, because cutting out individual scales was driving me round the bend and I lost count of the number of times I dislocated my thumb with the scissors.  The punch has done a damned amazing job and is only now, some 500 scales later, starting to lose its clean edge.

So far I’ve got seven strips done, in pairs.  I decided I didn’t want to run them all the way up to the shoulder from the hem because they would be incredibly bulky under my chest plate and jacket, hence the different lengths.  There’s 107 scales to go on the final length and then I can get on with priming and painting the rest of them.  If all goes well, I hope to have the bulk of the tabard done this week, so that I can spend some time sorting out the quilting and fitting pyramid studs for my jacket.  Only six weeks to go!

Scale 01

Advertisements