Like the Ardent Blossom helm, Evanura is secreted away in the Emerald Graves and can only be acquired after picking up the codex entry The Silver Knight (a tale which I have rambled on about in other posts, so I shall refrain from doing so again). It is restricted to warrior class characters, so I was gutted that my Dalish rogue couldn’t carry it. I really wished that there were a way to display certain unique weapons on the walls of Skyhold because their designs are gorgeous and the backstories make for interesting reading. I think my Lavellan would have felt much the same affinity for this blade as I do and it seemed a pity that my options were to sell it, keep it hanging around in my inventory or stick it in the Undercroft chest.
When I began making plans for Lindiranae , Evanura was the first thing I wanted to tackle. I’ve tried my hand at a couple of foam creations (Silencer – which I must get around to finishing! – and Mahariel’s breastplate) and decided that foam was probably going to be my best bet. I spent ages working out how the measurements for Evanura in-game (based on an estimate of how wide Cassandra’s hand is!) and made a cardboard mock-up… that was absolutely enormous! The stupidest part is that it wasn’t until I had finished taping it all together that I actually realised how badly I’d calculated it. So I gave all my mangled mathematics to my engineer husband, who laughed at me and scaled up my reference sketch to the right size. The difference was more than a little bit ridiculous…
I stocked up on 3mm yoga mats when our local Poundland had them in, so armed with my new template, I started hacking mats into pieces. I built up the first layer around the cardboard to give the foam a bit more support and slapped on a couple of coats of PVA.
I found foam too fiddly and flimsy for the grip and despite my best efforts to carve my thicker floor mats into the right shape, I just couldn’t get my edges even. I ended up building a scaffold out of corrugated cardboard and layered sections of hardboard over it to keep the octagonal shape. I experimented with a few ways to make the cross-guard and decided I would have to do it in three sections – the écusson built onto the grip to keep the defined edges, then the foam quillons were slotted on underneath. The knuckle-bow has a design worked into it so I thought it would be easier to build that separately to be attached prior to priming.
Building up the layers was significantly easier than I expected. I thought I would end up having to take a rotary tool to it where the edges meet, but by the time I had finished gluing it down, it already looked pretty much how I wanted it. A third layer under the spines went on in the same way.
The next job is to get the knuckle-bow finished and then I can start getting it ready to paint.